Happy International Bacon Day! Myself and a group of fellow bacon lovers have named ourselves the Bacon Mafia. And we mean the real stuff. I get turkey bacon, but there is nothing like the real thing!
Because of this day, we are all sharing bacon dishes with you! I decided to try BLT Pasta which I saw over on Pinterest (check out my board dedicated to bacon).
BLTs are a guilty pleasure of mine. I show restraint when I visit the cafe in my office building because they are so good. Here is all the goodness of the sandwich in pasta form. I put my own twist on it by using sun dried tomatoes which I love and adding more bacon, of course. I hope you enjoy and check out the blog hop from the Bacon Mafia after the recipe!
Inspired by Some the Wiser
7 oz. whole wheat thin spaghetti
8 strips bacon, diced
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
Fresh ground black pepper
For Garlic Toast Bread Crumbs:
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 cups French bread, cubed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2. In a medium box, whisk minced garlic and olive oil together. Add bread cubes, and stir to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, toast coated bread crumb, stirring frequently. Season with salt and set aside.
3. Using the same skillet, saute the bacon over medium heat. Cook until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings, and drain off remaining oil.
4. Deglaze the pan with wine. Add the sun dried tomatoes, chicken broth, vinegar, and pepper flakes. Simmer until reduced by 1/3, approximately 5 minutes.
5. Add the spinach, thyme, and bacon to the sauce, then add the cooked pasta. Toss lightly until pasta is well coated with sauce. Season with fresh ground black pepper and salt as needed. Top each serving with garlic toast bread crumbs.