It is April Fool’s Day, but these are no trick! I haven’t met too many people who do not like Rice Krispies Treats. Who can resist them? When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to bookmark it for later. I bought a box of the cereal and of course it sat in my pantry for awhile.
I had a morning meeting at work last week and thought it was a great opportunity to bake these. Everyone liked them. They weren’t too sweet either. I cut mine into squares to resemble the treats. Also, I liked them best warm, but they can be served as room temperature.
Rice Krispies Treat Scones
Adapted from Baking Bites
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup puffed rice cereal (i.e. Rice Krispies)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl or food processor, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into the flour mixture by using a pastry cutter, fork, or rubbing it in with your fingertips until mixture has no pieces of butter larger than a pea remaining.
3. Stir in marshmallows and puffed rice cereal, then add buttermilk and vanilla and stir until mixture comes into a ball and no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface (dough will be sticky), lightly flour your hands and press dough into a rectangle about 8×12-inches and about 1 inch thick.
5. Use a sharp knife, cut dough into 16 squares. Place on baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between scones. Brush them with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool scones on a wire rack.